THEATRE AUDITIONS: The Theatre Department will be holding auditions for the fall play, A.R. Gurney’s Sylvia, on September 8 at 7:00 p.m., September 9 at 4:00 p.m., and September 10 at 2:00 p.m. Auditions will be held in the theater. We will be doing cold readings from various scripts. Please bring schedule conflicts. About the play: Greg, a man on the verge of a mid-life crisis, falls in love with a stray dog (played by a woman) and brings her home. Greg’s wife doesn’t want the dog and will have nothing to do with it; but he has fallen head over heels for his new canine friend, Sylvia, and she becomes a major bone of contention between husband and wife. You’ll be laughing out loud while getting the straight “poop from the pooch” in this hilarious and touching comedy by A.R. Gurney. Roles available are:
- SYLVIA (F) — The dog. Cute, sexy, spunky, sarcastic, full of youthful exuberance. A physical role – requires crouching, crawling, jumping, etc. Robin Williams type character.
- TOM (M) — Dog lover, a good natured guy who is a little too proud of Bowser, full of confidence.
- LESLIE (M or F) — a marriage counselor-Role will be played in drag. Former MR CBU contestants are welcome to audition.
- PHYLLIS (F) — Upper west side, socialite from New York, drinks a little too much, best friend to Kate.
The roles of Greg and Kate have already been cast. For more information contact Professor Matthew Hamner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEET THE POODLES WEEK: The Pi Pi Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. is hosting “Meet the Poodles” Week, September 8-11. All activities are free and open to the public. Also, you do not have to be interested in joining the sorority to come to the fun-filled activities. For more information, visit www.sgrho1922.org or email the chapter at email@example.com.
• Tuesday, September 8: PIe Day (All Things π) – Free food and music in Buckman Quad, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, September 9: Stress Free Me (Ain’t Nobody Got Time for Dat) – Come out to Ieam to manage stress and make your own personal stress ball! Buckman Hall 103, 7:00 p.m.
• Thursday, September 10: Meet the Poodles Table – Outside of Sabbatini Lounge, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
• Thursday, September 10: Meet the Poodles Informational – Buckman Hall 217, 7:22 p.m.
• Friday, September 11: T.G.I.FRHO-ZEN – FRHOzen treats outside of Sabbatini Lounge, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
PHI ALPHA DELTA INFORMATIONAL MEETING: Come see what the new CBU Pre-Law Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity has to offer as Memphis’s first PAD undergrad chapter on Tuesday, September 8 in Beckman Hall 102, 6:00-7:30 p.m. Learn about PAD’s purpose and mission for the year and meet the Executive Board for Phi Alpha Delta, who will be prepared to answer any questions. All majors are welcome. For more information, contact CBUPAD2015@gmail.com.
NATIONAL PANHELLENIC ROUNDTABLE: The National Panhellenic Council will host a Roundtable Discussion for those students who are interested in learning more about a specific organization, requirements, intake practices, community service initiatives, upcoming informationals, etc. on Wednesday, September 9 at 5:00 p.m. in Montesi Executive Center (Buckman Hall). Light refreshments will be served. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding NPHC activities, please contact Ian A. Boyd at firstname.lastname@example.org or Zachary Knight at email@example.com.
MSA WELCOME BACK MEETING/DISCUSSION: Come join the Muslim Student Association on Wednesday, September 9 for a presentation/discussion about Islam’s view of and relationship with other faiths, mainly Abrahamic religions (Judaism/Christianity). All faith backgrounds are welcome to come and participate! Buckman Hall 103, 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
DODGEBALL: Looking to relieve some stress from papers, exams, and studying? Well, come out and channel that energy as the men of the Alpha Beta Delta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. host Dodgeball on Thursday, September 10 at 7:30 p.m. in Canale Arena.
ALUMNI TRIVIA WITH BROTHER IGGY: Join CBUnited Alumni Association on Friday, September 11 in Alfonso Dining Hall for Trivia Night with CBU’s own trivia-master, Brother Ignatius Brown. Doors at 6:30 p.m. First question at 7:00 p.m. Register your team of six for $15 per person — only $5 per person for current CBU students! Community tables will be available for individuals and walk-ins. Prizes will be awarded to all members of the first and second place teams. For more information and to register, visit cbu.edu/alumni-trivia.