September of Service Kickoff was a Success!!
WOW! What a kickoff on Friday: We already have 225 of our September of Service spots filled! We also had a very successful Lifeblood drive, collecting 23 units of blood (the potential to save 69 lives right here in our community). Way to go, CBU!
Now, let’s ‘CBU up’ to fill the other 600 or so volunteer spots. Go to www.cbu.edu/sos to sign up. We have several openings for most of our events this week — but remember, don’t miss class for S.O.S.!
• Tuesday 8:00-11:00 a.m. (29 spots left) We will mow, pick up sticks and debris, and perform other tasks to clean up the golf course used for the golf program at Memphis Athletic Ministries. MAM’s mission is to help build godly youth in under-resourced neighborhoods by teaching them to love God, love others and love themselves.
• Wednesday 1:00-4:00 p.m. (14 spots left) We will be serving at Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore, sorting and organizing donations, stocking the shelves, assisting customers, maybe testing appliances (get ready to plug stuff in), and more. Habitat for Humanity builds homes, communities, and hope in the U.S. and around the world.
• Thursday 12:30-4:00 p.m. (full) We will work with the clients of Alzheimers Day Services in a therapeutic activity program that helps improve their cognitive skills, communication, and socialization. Alzheimer’s Day Services helps persons with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders live their lives with dignity and respect while providing relief to their caregivers and support for their families.
• Friday 12:15-3:30 p.m. (9 spots left) We will we be at at Dorothy Day House of Hospitality cleaning windows, organizing donations, and assisting with the upkeep of the grounds and other yard work. The Dorothy Day House addresses homelessness by keeping families together while they work to solve their problems.
• Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (3 spots left) We will clean toys, roll silverware, set up craft projects, and other tasks at at Target House at St. Jude. Target House provides no-cost, long-term housing and care for pediatric patients and their families.
• Sunday 10:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (1 spot left) We will be at at Collierville Animal Services, doing some yard work, cleaning, and possibly walking some dogs!