Dr. Malinda Fitzgerald (Biology) presented a poster at the Society for Neuroscience entitled ”Characterization of the central neurons responsible for parasympathetic regulation of choroidal blood flow in rat eye using pseudorabies virus.” The meeting was held in Washington DC, November 15-19. Over 30,000 scientists were in attendance.
Dr. James Moore (Biology) received a grant from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for sampling turtles for ranavirus at Wapanocca National Wildlife Refuge in Arkansas. This month’s cold weather made some of the field work a little more “inconvenient” than normal for this time of year.
Gina Sabbatini (Physician Assistant Studies ’16) was selected as the featured Student Spotlight on the Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants website. Gina is president of the CBU PA Class of 2016 and the SAAAPA Student Society chapter at CBU. A native of Clarksdale, MS, Gina also has a Bachelor of Science degree in Investigative and Medical Sciences with a secondary major in Theological Studies from Saint Louis University.
The CBU Student Members of the American Chemical Society won two national awards from the American Chemical Society for activities during the 2013-2014 academic year. The club received the Honorable Mention Award for its program of activities and the Green Chemistry Student Chapter Award for its Green Chemistry activities during the 2013-2014 school year.
NCAA Division II South Region Sports Information Directors voted four CBU Bucs to the Daktronics All-South Region Men’s Soccer Team:
• Jose Ferraz (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) won First Team All-Region honors after scoring 13 goals with two assists for 28 points in 17 games. He scored six game-winning goals, ranking 10th in the nation. He is 20th in the nation in goals per game and 29th in points per game.
• Britton McGuire (Memphis, Tenn./Memphis University School) earned a spot on the Second Team after playing all but 20 minutes in goal this season, recording eight shutouts, 56 saves and a 0.71 goals against average. He is 16th in the nation in goals against average and 22nd with an .812 save percentage.
• Defenders Sean Rutter (Bristol, England/Filton College) and Andrew Forrest (Lanark, Scotland/Lanark Grammar School) joined McGuire on the Second Team. Forrest started all 18 games and played 1,623 minutes, while Rutter started 16 games and played 1,427 minutes, scoring a goal with two assists for four points. The Bucs’ defense ranks eighth in the nation in shutout percentage and 12th in team goals against average.
NCAA Division II South Region Sports Information Directors voted two CBU Lady Buc midfielders to the All-South Region Second Women’s Soccer Team:
• Carmen Manes (Memphis, Tenn./St. Agnes Academy) earned Second Team All-Region honors after she earned First Team All-GSC this season. She started all 19 games at midfielder, logging three assists and three points as a defense-oriented midfielder.
• Camilla Rodrigues (Belo Horizonte, Brazil/American School) joined her on the All-Region team. Also a First Team All-GSC pick, Rodrigues collected 10 goals and 11 assists in 19 games, starting 18.