The 2013 Gerard A. Vanderhaar Symposium will be held on Thursday, March 14 in Spain Auditorium at 7:00 p.m. The symposium’s topic will be “Communities Engaged in Resolving Urban Social Conflict.” A distinguished panel of community organizers will address issues regarding immigration, gang violence, racism, labor rights and other challenges facing our communities and discuss positive steps on how to make a difference in our neighborhoods, city/county, nation and the world. Panelists include Delvin Lane, team leader of Mayor Wharton’s Gang Violence Prevention Team; Gabriela Benitez, coordinator of West TN Immigration and Refugee Coalition; Malik Shaw, vice principal of Pleasant View Islamic School and co-founder of American Muslim Intercultural Network; and Kyle Kordsmeier, organizing director of Workers Interfaith Network.
The program will also include the presentation of the Vanderhaar Student Peace Award. A reception following the program in the Montesi Executive Center will honor the recipient and previous Peace Laureates. For more information, visit www.gvanderhaar.org.
Boot Camp classes are Thursdays from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in the Swashbuckler. Bring water and a towel and be prepared to sweat! Head to toe workout to keep you strong and fit! Open to all CBU students, faculty and staff — free of charge!
MEN’S BASKETBALL (16-8, 11-5 GSC)
- 02/21: Bucs 68, University of West Georgia 49 (at Carrollton, GA)
- 02/23: Bucs 65, University of West Alabama 83 (at Livingston, AL)
WOMEN’S BASKETBALL (6-17, 3-12 GSC)
- 02/21: Lady Bucs 55, University of West Georgia 60 (at Carrollton, GA)
- 02/23: Lady Bucs 41, University of West Alabama 57 (at Livingston, AL)
BASEBALL (4-7, 0-0 GSC)
- 02/23: Bucs 1, Kentucky Wesleyan College 9 (at Buc Field)
- 02/23: Bucs 3, Kentucky Wesleyan College 2 (at Buc Field)
- 02/24: Bucs 12, Kentucky Wesleyan College 4 (at Buc Field)
- 02/24: Bucs 1, Kentucky Wesleyan College 8 (at Buc Field)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE
- 02/28: Valdosta State University (Valdosta, GA; 7:00 p.m.)
- 03/02: University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL; 4:00 p.m.)
- 02/28: Valdosta State University (Valdosta, GA; 5:05 p.m.)
- 03/02: University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL; 2:05 p.m.)
- 03/02: University of West Georgia (Carrollton, GA; 1:00 p.m. doubleheader)
- 03/03: University of West Georgia (Carrollton, GA; noon)
- 03/02: Shorter University (Rome, GA; 1:00 p.m. doubleheader)
- 03/03: University of West Georgia (Carrollton, GA; noon doubleheader)
MEN’S & WOMEN’S TENNIS
- 02/28: Men: Lindenwood University (TPC Southwind; 1:00 p.m.)
- 03/01: Men & Women: Shorter University (TPC Southwind; 2:00 p.m.)
Formerly called the Exhibition of Student Work, ThinkShow! will be on display at every Memphis City School on Thursday, March 7. Our neighbor, Fairview MIddle School, is in need of volunteer jurors who can give feedback to students based upon their projects. You can volunteer for as long as you are able. The show will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and serving a light breakfast and lunch for jurors.
For this year’s ThinkShow!, every student at Fairview will develop and exhibit a project that demonstrates his/her best work for the school year. ThinkShow! will provide students with an opportunity to showcase their unique talents and abilities and inform their teachers, administrators and the community of their potential. Some of the artifacts last year included student-produced animated stories; a scale model of the Globe Theatre; an authentic replica of the Lorraine Motel; and multimedia games about cancer for the cure4kids.org website.
Training will be provided to all volunteers on the use of the scoring tools prior to the event. Please extend this invitation to community members that you may know, and consider joining the ThinkShow! juror team. You may sign up to be a juror online by visiting http://www.mcsk12.net/thinkshow/application.php or call Fairview at (901) 416-9510.