The Cooper-Young Community Farmers Market is hosting a Seed Swap on Saturday, February 16 at 1000 South Cooper (corner of Cooper and Walker), 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. This event is FREE and open to the public. Gardeners can bring their extra or saved vegetable, herb and flower seeds in exchange for swap tickets. Quite a few farmers are donating excess seed to the swap. For folks who don’t have seed to bring along, swap tickets can be purchased for a nominal fee. There will also be a seed-starting demonstration, and farmers and expert gardeners will be on hand to answer questions. In the event of inclement weather, it will be postponed to the following Saturday.
Like to talk on the phone? Now get MONEY for it!! Call Alumni and Friends of Christian Brothers University! Prizes! FUN! Great Pay! On-Campus! Phonathon dates are March 16 for training, and calling takes place March 17-27. Interviewing is NOW UNDERWAY, only at: www.phonathon.com (Entry code: CBU13S). Contact Karla@wilson-bennett.com with any questions.
- ACADEMIC IMPROVEMENT WORKSHOPS: During January and February, workshops will be offered to help at-risk students toward a more successful college experience in areas of basic study skills techniques, helpful resources, self-assessment, self-motivation, etc. The sessions will be held on Thursdays as follows: January 24, January 31, and February 7 from 1:00 to 1:50 p.m. in the Thomas Center Conference Room and will be conducted by Ms. Sadie Lisenby, Director of Counseling. The sessions are designed for students who have the desire and commitment to become a more successful student. Interested students are urged to attend all four sessions.
- COMMUNITY CONVERSATION: The next Community Conversation with the President is February 28 in the University Theater. Faculty and staff, please show up at 12:30 for snacks and conversation in the lobby. Conversation with Dr. Smarrelli will begin afterward in the theater to discuss matters of relevance in an informal setting. No agenda will be formulated. Dr. Smarrelli hopes to use this as an opportunity to discuss topics large and small.
- SPRING PLAY: Performances for the Spring Play are scheduled for March 21-23 at 7:30 p.m. and March 24 at 2:00 p.m. in the University Theater. Steven Dietz’ Private Eyes is a comedy that is a roller coaster ride between truths and lies, filled with surprises and misdirection. Matthew and Lisa are rehearsing a play. Lisa may or may not be having an affair with their British director, Adrian. In any case, Matthew tries to cope with his troubled marriage by seeing his therapist, Frank. Then, there is Cory, a mysterious woman, who seems to be shadowing their every move. She helps bring the story to its surprising conclusion. Or does she? The audience itself plays the role of detective in this hilarious relationship thriller about love and the power of deception. Seating is limited and reservations must be made in order to guarantee seating. Students, staff and faculty of CBU will receive an email link for reservations. Non-CBU participants may reserve seats by emailing the director at firstname.lastname@example.org. General admission is $ 5.00 and admission for CBU staff/faculty/students is $1.00. The cast includes Nic Picou (Adrian), Catherine Montesi (Cory), Meghan Hawkins (Lisa), Kierra Turner (Frank), and Cale Baskin (Matthew).
- MOBILE MAMMOGRAPHY UNIT: The Baptist Mobile Mammography Unit will be on campus on March 21. Please contact Katherine Misee in Human Resources if you would like to take advantage of this worthwhile program. It only takes about 15 minutes (provided you have completed the information sheets prior to the visit) and they will only be here in the morning. Remember that the new CBU plan year starts May 1, 2013 — if you had a mammogram since May 1, 2012, you would not be covered until the new plan year. The Unit is open to anyone (even those who are not covered under our plan) but there is a restriction for age. You must be at least 35 before having the base one performed (federal regulations say that you can have one from age 35-40). Please send your scheduling request to email@example.com with your best time options. She will respond with the forms that you will need to complete and return by the first week in March.
MEN’S BASKETBALL (10-5, 5-2 GSC)
- 01/17: Bucs 64, University of West Georgia 54 (at Canale Arena)
- 01/19: Bucs 68, University of West Alabama 49 (at Canale Arena)
WOMEN’S BASKETBALL (4-11, 1-6 GSC)
- 01/17: Lady Bucs 56, University of West Georgia 59 (at Canale Arena)
- 01/19: Lady Bucs 56, University of West Alabama 51 (at Canale Arena)
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE
- 01/24: Valdosta State University (Valdosta, GA; 7:00 p.m.)
- 01/26: University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL; 4:00 p.m.)
- 01/24: Valdosta State University (Valdosta, GA; 5:00 p.m.)
- 01/26: University of West Florida (Pensacola, FL; 2:00 p.m.)